Wednesday, November 16, 2005

I Saw Death Cab for Cutie



The venue was, quite frankly, shitty. It was the UC Santa Clara gymnasium, of all things, and half the people there were saying things like "Transatlantacism is their most recent album." "I have all three albums up to that point." "There are only four of them? I thought they had a girl singer. You know, that one song? 'Nothing Better'?" Of course they were yelling stuff like this at each other WHILE THE BAND WAS PLAYING. I almost lost my temper. Furthermore, the acoustics sucked, the house was dead...

BUT OH, THE BAND....
They... oh... god......
Okay, we all know that I've been half-crazy about them for a few years now, but Good LORD. They are so damned talented. I hate them all, but especially Ben Gibbard, their lead singer. That man plays the guitar, piano, and drums plus sings and writes almost all of the songs for both DCFC and the Postal Service, his other baby. Actually, I love him. When I say "I love Ben," I mean more than one Ben. Whoo. Anyway, hearing his voice and seeing him that close, seeing ALL of them that close, more than made up for the horrid venue. Now I just have to see them somewhere fabulous, that's all. Nothing major.

The most amazing thing was that they played "A Movie Script Ending," which, as I told Ben, was almost completely out of the realm of possibility. It's from The Photo Album, 2001, and plenty of DCFC fans haven't even heard of it. Hehe. In any case, I was begging whatever power controls their setlist to please please please play that song, and they did. I cried. Ah, yes. I love.

The crux of the matter is simply this:
1) If you haven't heard DCFC, this is the voice of God telling you that Her plan is for you to listen to them. Dammit. Now.
2) If you haven't seen them in concert, you MUST.
3) Also listen to the Postal Service. You will be a more complete being for doing so.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home