Tech Week... Hell Week.
Last night was supposed to begin tech week. Mike got a crew of three to add to the three we have, so now our crew consists of Mike, Ben, Kevin, Matt, Jose, Nick, Thomas and yours truly. We don't have headsets for everyone, and Mike wants everyone on stage to have a setup, which means I'll be the only person in the booth with a headset. ACK! Richard said we could order another headset, so hopefully that works out.
Anyway, last night was not the first night of tech because there was a lot more choreography that had to be worked out. Don't get me wrong, it was good. I was glad the choreography was getting done, but on the other hand, I have this crew standing around. Bah. I know, I know, this is perfectly normal in theatre. It could've been worse...
Mike decided last night was a good time to start yelling at me about the projections. He demanded an exact date of completion, and I stared at him. "No."
He stared back. "No?! Yes!"
I folded my arms. "NO. This isn't your project. It's not your responsibility. Richard's been coming to me directly about it. Don't worry. If I start having a problem, I'll tell you."
"We need this by Wednesday!"
I grinned. "I know, Mike. You taught me well, remember? I know. We have to have the tech stuff worked out during tech week. I KNOW THAT! So don't stress on me, and don't get grouchy." Richard wandered in and out of the little spat, and I have to say, he looked amused.
It's the strangest thing, being the one to tell Mike what to do. "Mike, just bring down the power source from in the booth. Run it from the costume shop over to the computer table."
"Yeah, and have to take it down every day?"
"No, leave it."
"People will trip!"
I groaned. "Mike, tape the cord down! Just dress it like you will all the other cables we're using."
He didn't reply, but I left and came back, and two guys were down dressing the extension cord. Yeah. *grins*
I'm looking forward to this being over with. I truly am. I don't like stage managing. I may never do it again. Well... I dunno. I might. It's been an awesome experience. Richard's let me do anything I've been interested in doing. I've had an enormous amount of responsibility, which means I've gotten to see this production from the ground up. I was there for auditions, and I'll be there to strike the set. That's a great feeling.
It'll have to get me through tech week. See, the thing about being a stage manger is that you're responsible for the actors, the directors, and the techies as well. Everything's my fault. Although, you know.... After I was arguing with Mike... I came up into the booth, and he was on headset with the crew. "Yeah, go ahead and do all your goofing off now, 'cause when Em's on headset, you'll be the best-behaved crew ever. Em takes no crap off nobody, and that means you." I just wandered back out of the booth. Great. The mighty TD Mike is using ME to scare people. *laughs*


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home