Wednesday, February 04, 2004

Expressions of Self



Words are my primary expression of my being. Second to that is my physicality itself, the way I walk, talk, my facial expressions, my voice, my laugh, my hands and my mouth. Lastly I hurl songs at people. "Here, if you can't understand ME, listen to this."

And then I have my friends who don't express themselves through words, and are a bit confused and (in the extreme) envious when I do so. How can I communicate with them? How can I understand what they're trying to say to me? How do they express themselves? It's really starting to get under my skin. I wish I could slip inside their heads for a moment and then wrap their emotions in words like the invisible would wrap themselves in swaths of fabric when they wished to be seen. Aw, if you can't tell me what you mean, then try to find music that says it, and if that doesn't do it, paint me a picture, and if you can't paint, cry, and when all else fails, let me hug you. Maybe that will tell me all I need to know.

Those of you who are like me, wordsmiths by nature, play with me. Listen. Talk. Bounce words off me, let me throw them at you. My edge is dulling, my talent is slipping, my perception is blurred and I am uneased.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home