Maybe I'm Just Too Demanding
So last night one of my dear friends told me, more or less, that I'm just very demanding. He was only being honest, having a conversation, discussing issues--that's what we DO, after all--but I felt compelled to ask TD Mike if he agreed with my friend's estimation. After all, he's observed me over the past year with many different kinds of people, and is quite perceptive about when I'm acting/playing vs. when I'm being fully Em. He says I'm not "demanding" as such, because he believes that the word "demanding" has a negative connotation. He says "It's only that you know what you want, and you know how you plan to get it. You're willing to have other people on board, but they have to play by your rules. You're clear about your goals. That's not necessarily demanding."So now, the question: was Mike just sugar-coating it? It's not a typical thing for him to do, but on the other hand, he does choose his words very carefully.
I do know that I'm .... Or rather, I know what I'm like. I'm demanding. But am I too demanding?
"Why should I pity someone who'll never stand a chance of getting stuck with you?"
"Wow. Mean."
"No, truthful. I don't think you'd be happy with anyone who wasn't intelligent enough to be driven to near-insanity with you."
"And why would I drive someone intelligent to near-insanity?"
"You know me, I couldn't deal with unintelligent women, but even so I get frustrated with you sometimes."
....
"It's not that I'm so unusually bright, it's that I'm demanding. Right?"
"Yeah."
"Well, that's one more thing for me to work on. Joy."


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home